A range of forestry grants are available to promote afforestation in Ireland.
Deel Forestry can help and advise you on suitable grants and available schemes.
These grants help to:
- Increase the area under forest in Ireland to contribute towards climate change mitigation;
- Produce a commercial crop of timber;
- Provide a sustainable source of wood biomass for energy purposes;
- Provide a sustainable basis for development of the rural economy;
- Increase the area of purpose-designed recreational and amenity forests;
- Improve water quality through riparian planting;
- Increase overall biodiversity by providing woodland habitat which is under-represented in the complex of habitat types
All Grant Applicants must:
- Be over 18 years of age and
- Hold a Personal Public Service Number.
- Must Own or Lease the land
Woodland Improvement Scheme
Thinning and Tending
The aim of the scheme is to stimulate the improvement, protection and development of woodlands and forests for a range of functions, including:
- healthy tree growth
- landscape enhancement
- soil protection and water protection.
These are facilitated by:
- Improvement Felling of malformed and over mature trees
- Felling of additional trees to release potential crop. (PCT)
- Pruning to improve stem quality
- Thinning or re-spacing to promote growth
- Management and re-spacing of natural regeneration.
Grant Rate: The maximum grant will be €750 per hectare with a cap of €20,000 per application.
Native Woodland Scheme – Establishment
The objectives of the Scheme include:
- To restore forests damaged by natural causes,
- To restore and prevent damage to forests caused by deer, squirrel and vole.
- To contribute to maintaining or restoring forest ecosystems and biodiversity.
To contribute to maintaining or restoring the traditional landscape
New Forestry Programme 2014 – 2020
Afforestation Premium Rates (same rates for farmer and non farmer)
|GPC||New Rate||Duration (years)|
|1 – Unenclosed||€185||15|
|2 – Sitka spruce/lodgepole pine||€440||15|
|3 – 10% Diverse||€510||15|
|4 – Diverse||€560||15|
|5 – Broadleaf||€575||15|
|6 – Oak / Beech||€615||15|
|7 – Beech||€615||15|
|8 – Alder||€575||15|
|9- Native Woodland Establishment (Scenarios 1-3)*||€635||15|
|10- Native Woodland establishment (Scenario 4)*||€635||15|
|11 – Agro-forestry*||€260||5|
|12 – Forestry for Fibre*||€180||10|
Grant rates (5% increase on fixed rate grant)
|GPC||1st Grant€/ha||2nd Grant€/ha||Total€/ha||Additional Fencing Allocation€/ha IS436||Alternative Fencing Allocation €/haNon IS436||TotalAvailable
|1 – Unenclosed||1575||525||2100||500||350||2600|
|2 – Sitka spruce / LP||2310||735||3045||500||350||3545|
|3 – 10% Diverse Conifer||2360||790||3150||500||350||3650|
|4 – Diverse Conifer||2625||840||3465||500||350||3965|
|5 – Broadleaf||3780||1155||4935||500||450||5435|
|6 – Oak / Beech||3990||1260||5250||500||450||5750|
|7 – Beech||3990||1260||5250||500||450||5750|
|8 – Alder||2520||840||3360||500||450||3860|
|9- Native Woodland Establishment (Scenarios 1-4)||3990||1260||5250||500||450||5750|
|10- Native Woodland establishment (Scenario 4)||3780||1155||4935||500||450||5435|
|11 – Agro-forestry||2960||990||3950||500||450||4450|
|12a – Forestry for Fibre||1460||490||1950||500||450||2450|
|12b – Forestry for Fibre (Aspen, 1400)||1245||420||1665||500||450||2165|